Wednesday 15 November 2017

People Never Really Stop Loving Books

We’ve all got them: those Who publications we thumbed so well as children that we ruined them. I’d like to share a few of my very favourites. Born as I was in 1985, I grew up during the wilderness years, aching for a series to come back to TV. As a child, the wait felt even longer. It was agonising. I was a little too young for the Virgin novels, and it was Big Finish who cemented my relationship with the show forever. But, of course, there were books. There were always books!

TIMEFRAME – THE ILLUSTRATED HISTORY

Released to celebrate 30 years of Doctor Who, Timeframe now looks a little old-fashioned, a bit simple. But those artworks and pictures were etched into my memory in a living, vivid way. I was eight years old and poured through the book, time and time again, wondering about those stories I’d never seen. The photo-strip from Paradise Towers with the Doctor saying hello to the Kangs felt so frightening, the prose below reading like a ghostly echo of a missing childhood. Some of those book cover paintings, I’d love to have prints of now: Time and the Rani looked astonishing, The Hand of Fear so dynamic and the page split between The Rescue and The Romans I absolutely loved. Perhaps best of all was The Mutants, the monster being so frightening, it took me almost 25 years to notice the blue crystal in the foreground. I took this book to a few conventions in the late 90s / early 00s. Now, its torn cover and ripped pages conceal autographs of Elisabeth Sladen, Bonnie Langford, Peter Purves and Anthony Ainley amongst others. It is utterly treasured.


THE DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE 30TH ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL


Yes, I know it’s a mock-up of the Radio Times 10th Anniversary Special but I singularly failed to be alive when that was released. My totem of all Doctor Who knowledge ever was this magazine, cover adorned with my Doctor. It is such a simple design but completely beautiful. Exciting synopses and evocative photographs decorate every page. Whistle-stop interviews with each Doctor and companion lie within, the perfect length for this small boy to devour. The magazine was my Bible. Then, awfully, and I don’t know how, I lost the cover. It must have come free from its staples and the magazine was tarnished for good. Years later, I bequeathed my Bible to a University friend who’d just discovered the wonder of the series through the revival and was interested in the old episodes. It went to a good home. And two years ago, I found a copy online. eBay is a wonderful thing! What a joy to have rediscovered a thing from the past, which is what the modus operandi of the magazine itself actually was.
THE DOCTOR WHO TELEVISION COMPANION

1998. I discover a new Bible. Those bastions of Who lore, Howe and Walker, publish The Best Book Ever. Since then, it has been republished unofficially, without the logo or photographs. It has also been amended, added to and improved. To my mind though, that 1998 tome was the apex of Doctor Who non-fiction. Every story was reviewed from a number of perspectives, including contemporaneous and modern reactions. There was a full list of cast credits for every story, a list of crewmembers, Things We Probably Never Knew about a story, Things to Watch Out For in a story, a list of cliff-hangers. It was the best guidebook the show has ever had, including the Jan Marc-Lofficier publications, including The Legend. It has been so well-read at my house that the cover has gone, the spine is damaged – indeed completely broken - but I will never be rid of it. It almost means as much as the series to me.


DEATH TO THE DALEKS

The Target books do not warm the cockles of my heart quite as much as fans of a certain generation. I did enjoy, however, seeing them as I was growing up in second hand shops and wondering at the treasured words within that older fans must have enjoyed so much in their youth. But Death to the Daleks is something of a special case. I was on holiday in Cornwall – Mousehole to be precise - with my grandparents and one of my younger brothers. Where my mother and father were, I can’t tell you. Where my other brothers were is an even bigger mystery. But at night, in a strange caravan with a younger brother and grandparents for company, I needed a book. So off we went to the second-hand book shops that frequent tiny villages such as Mousehole. There was one solitary, lonely Doctor Who book, and a story I’d already seen but not much enjoyed: Death to the Daleks. I read it in less than a week and loved every single page. I had completely forgotten the gallant self-sacrifice at the end; the trip through the city of the Exxilons was tremendously exciting; and… ZOMBIES! How had I not seen this story before? I went home and watched it. And you know, it really was as good as the book. What a fabulous show Death to the Daleks is. The novel had shown me another side of the TV show. The fact that it’s got the best cover art in the history of books is the icing on the cake.

THE BRILLIANT BOOK

A recent edition to the list of brilliant books has got to be… The Brilliant Book. It was the sort of annual we always wanted but never got. Interviews, episode synopses, statistics and best of all… a mysterious cryptic taste of things to come! There would be another edition the following year but it was smaller and less tangibly… brilliant. The following year saw only half a season on TV – not enough to fill a brilliant book - and so the Brilliant books were no more. But in 2010, we were at the start of an exciting, new era and it seemed like an exciting new better-than-the-annual book range was about to be launched. It wasn’t to last. But that first one was stupidly exciting. It remains a thing of beauty, the individual episode illustrations by Lee Binding worth the asking price alone.

THE CRUSADE – THE SCRIPT BOOK

My brother Jim knows how much I love The Crusade. I always have. I loved The Wheel of Fortune for a long, long time. The Hartnell Years VHS was watched time and again to experience those wonderful 25 minutes. Then The Lion turned up and that beautiful VHS boxset was watched over and over again too. Lost in Time yielded some remastered editions, again watched repeatedly. I can shamelessly quote so very many passages of The Crusade. “It is the devil’s own embrocation.” “We are the only day and night for you, hunter.” “Perhaps I should ride with craftsmen and leave my knights at home.” Oh, what great beauty that script held! And one birthday, from the other side of the country, comes a little parcel from my brother and it contains a long since deleted edition of The Crusade script book. He lives in Norwich; I in Oldham. Getting the book in the post let me know he was still there with me. It remains one of my most treasured paperbacks.

THE SCALES OF INJUSTICE / BUSINESS UNUSUAL
Gary Russell’s contribution to the Doctor Who mythos is gargantuan. Not only did he mastermind the first 92 Big Finish releases – and weren’t they just classics? – but he ran the magazine, wrote comic strips, reviews, and of course, novels. Gary’s novels are always page-turners. He doesn’t go in for poetry but, like Terrance Dicks, he writes rattling good yarns and I love them all! Invasion of the Cat People; Beautiful Chaos; Big Bang Generation. If it’s got Gary’s name on it, it’ll fly by! This pair of books come as a twinset. There are recurring characters which purposely bind the Virgin and BBC novels’ continuities together. Gary has such a great handle on the Silurians and the Autons and other continuity references abound in both novels, but they are done to enrich the world of Doctor Who. (We hear of the links between UNIT and Counter-Measures, for example.) Gary’s books are as thrilling as any Who novel and only those fans without a heart pooh-pooh them. He has no agenda except to entertain and entertain he most certainly does! Thanks Gary.

WHO ON EARTH IS TOM BAKER?
1997. I am 12 years old and Tom Baker is coming to Oldham! He is publicising his autobiography and he’s going to be in Hammicks bookshop until 4:00pm. Unfortunately, I’m at school until 3:30pm and Hammicks is a twenty-minute bus ride away. I race for the bus. It’s late. I sit on it desperate for the driver to put his foot down. He doesn’t. I race from the bus stop through the shopping centre, up the escalators and into Hammicks. And Tom’s gone.
I am devastated.
Three months later, Christmas Day arrives. I have long since forgotten the Tom Baker Hammicks debacle and am jollily opening my presents. When what should I come across? Of course, my Dad had been to Hammicks. Of course, he had got Tom’s autograph. And of course, it was addressed to me. It was the first Christmas present to make me cry.
I read the book a good while later. It is blisteringly funny. Every Doctor Who fan should read it!
THE ENGLISH WAY OF DEATH
I’d heard a lot about Gareth Roberts’s books. His novels held the top four positions in the DWM 1998 survey. The top four! And The English Way of Death had a reputation like no other. Could it live up to it? It did. And then some! Roberts writes Season 17 stories without any bad bits. In short, his three Tom Baker novels are as good as City of Death. But The English Way of Death is the best. I’m thrilled that it has been re-issued for others to enjoy. And the Big Finish release has Tom bloody Baker in it! The book’s the best though. And the illustrations are gorgeous!

THE BLOOD CELL
A recent mega-hit for me and a novel with a very unusual structure. It is told from the perspective of the prison governor and we see the Doctor through his eyes. It’s a wise move from James Goss who was writing this before Peter Capaldi’s first season had even been made. Surprisingly, he gets Peter’s Doctor down to a tee. He’s flippant, sarcastic, brilliant and beneath the surface, immeasurably kind. The unique narrative viewpoint draws one into the book and then pulls one through it. In fact, it’s a non-stop adventure yarn disguised as a diary. Once it gets under your skin, you can’t put The Blood Cell down. Hugely recommended!
THE NEW AUDIO ADVENTURES
One of the best non-fiction Doctor Who books ever published in that it is so candid! It wouldn’t happen these days. But this was a time when Eric Saward, Gary Downie, even Colin Baker were beginning to give warts-and-all interviews to DWM. Similarly, this compelling book pulls no punches. We hear why Jonathan Blum only wrote one script; what the nightmare of Minuet in Hell was; and of the disastrous period making Neverland and Real Time and why Neverland was released three weeks late. It is full of gossip. And who doesn’t enjoy a smattering of Celebrity Who Fan Goss?
And that's your lot for now! There are so many fabulous Doctor Who books, that maybe this deserves a follow-up piece? Whilst I'm here though, I'd like to give honourable mentions to: 
  • Mike Tucker and Robert Perry's Matrix, which is haunting and dark and the only Who novel I've read twice.
  • the recent Whographica which is an astonishing piece of work and perfect toilet reading (surely the only true litmus test of a great publication). I could stare at it all day.
  • The Twelve Doctors of Christmas has got to be another perfect Doctor Who treasury- beautifully illustrated with 12 cracking tales within. I think it'll come off the shelf every Christmas in my house...
I'm sure we all have our favourites. Why not let us know what yours are in the comments box below? We'd love to hear from you!

 JH

No comments:

Post a Comment