Wednesday 8 May 2019

Fanaticism - Making it Work

For a mild obsessive, I can assure any doubters that having a family doesn’t half get in the way of being a good Doctor Who fan. Once, long ago, I’d get home from work, shove a Big Finish CD on and get cooking. Whilst eating my tea, I could have a DVD extra playing and save the episodes themselves – still the ultimate treasure – for late evening. I’d often get in bed, headphones on and drift into blissful oblivion to a Companion Chronicle. Oh, how times change!

I must be one of the very few people to welcome DWM’s lately reduced wordcount: it allows me to manage almost half of the articles each month. I’m also grateful for the four-month gaps between blu ray box sets and the yearly ones between steelbooks. As for actual books, it’s taken three months to manage 46 pages of Scratchman
My Big Finish intake was in danger of becoming an impossibility, but I’ve cunningly devised a plan with several non-Who bonuses to boot, meaning I can get in over 30 hours of listening per month. I work in a school precisely four miles from my house. It’s an unforgivably long 50-minute bus journey away and it costs £17 a week. Recently, I got myself an android phone. (I’d previously settled with a Neanderthalic Alcatel with push-buttons and everything.) This meant that I was able to listen to Big Finish downloads if I so wished whilst on the move. Now, a four-mile walk to work takes precisely one hour and a Big Finish CD – sans extras – usually lasts precisely one hour, meaning I can now manage two discs a day whilst travelling to work whilst saving £17 a week whilst losing 2lbs of stomach. Frankly, it’s a triple win. 
Before the walking-to-work Masterplan, I had to wait for my daughter’s evening sleep to coincide with my wife’s soap operas, during which I could pull out the headphones and get 25 minutes in. This happened rarely, however, and the backlog was becoming extraordinary. When my daughter’s evening sleep disappeared from her routine entirely, Big Finish listening became all but unfathomable. The walk to work has meant that not only am I managing the latest releases as they arrive but I’m ploughing through Jago & Litefoot and Counter-Measures too. As fans, whatever the circumstances, we can always find a way to make it work!
I’m fully aware that this does indeed appear to be the behaviour of an obsessive with a warped sense of priority but then I think of football fans. The seasoned professional fan spends every Saturday out either at the ground or in a pub. Subscriptions to BT Sport or Sky are paid for monthly and season tickets are paid for in fell swoops at the start of a season. Big games, European or World Cup matches are an added expense, alongside football kits, memorabilia and programmes. This is the behaviour of so-called “normal” people, celebrated by “the lads” but - probably as a result of the guilt-ridden Doctor Who-less 1990s – I wonder if I’m not a little over-reflective about the way I spend my money. Taking into account how much a football fan might spend, a Big Finish subscription, a DWM and a blu ray every few months doesn’t seem all that bad. And I'd only be spending £17 a week on the bus.
What I am sure of, however, is that even though I can bring the Doctor to mind and raise a smile whenever I wish and even though he’s been around for longer than I can remember, I know that when I think of my daughter or my wife or my step-girls, I can feel my heart leap. And I know that if they ever need anything, that Tom Baker blu ray could fetch a few hundred quid, as would that Capaldi steelbook or that 1965 annual or The Well-Mannered War. And I know as well that they’d be the last people to suggest I sell them: my wonderful girls. When they’re all grown up and left us, my wife can watch her soaps in peace and I might finally start reading my Complete History, the 30th birthday present it took her four years to buy for me.
JH

No comments:

Post a Comment